Nelson Technology is currently seeking a Senior Network Engineer for their client in san Francisco, CA. This is a contract opportunity in the retail industry.
Compensation: $61.00 to $71.00 per hour
This Sr. network Engineer position is for a lead technical role in the design, implementation, and deployment of application network services within Gap Inc. Direct. This is a hands-on role where significant participation in build and escalated support activities will be expected.
• Participates in a team responsible for the design, implementation, and maintenance of network, server, storage systems, and related software and services within Gap Inc. Direct
• Acts as a subject matter expert on all networking-related technologies used in the Gap Inc. Direct (GID) systems infrastructure, as well as a broad knowledge of applications and server-related technologies in place.
• Contributes to the infrastructure design and planning process by delivering technical requirements and capacity analysis. Provides technical vision for the GID network architecture
• Interfaces with Project Manager, Technical Architects, Technical Managers, DBAs, Software Development, Deployment Engineering, Release Management teams and others to draft & approve detailed work plans and deployment schedules.
• Possesses comprehensive technical knowledge and organizational skills to oversee, coordinate, and participate in highly complex projects with high visibility and high impact on the business.
• Understands the price-value trade-off between incremental improvements in overall High Availability Architecture.
• Will work with vendors to help GID maintain supported configurations for key platforms.
• Provides input on new and existing processes and procedures based on industry best practices
• Can organize, assemble and lead teams from multiple IT groups, and in some instances, may supervise daily work activities of assigned team(s)
• Acts as a role model and mentor on technical issues
• Demonstrates creative thinking and innovative approaches using multiple technologies and works to clarify technical ambiguity.
• Some work responsibilities to include compliance activity and reporting on compliance activity.
• This is a hands-on role where significant participation in build and escalated support activities will be expected, including highly technical problem solving and / or performing technical audits of work done by GID staff and vendors.
• Bachelor's degree from accredited college or relevant experience
• Cisco certifications preferred (CCNA, CCNP, CCIE)
• Strong Linux System Administrator and shell scripting experience required to support a 24/7 e-commerce environment
• 5 or more years of network administration and engineering experience and at least 1-3 years of technical leadership experience
• Has technical expertise in design, implementation and support of large-scale, highly available, multi-site networks, preferably involving consumer-facing web-based applications.
Required Technical Skills:
• Linux systems administration and troubleshooting is paramount for this role
• Layer-3 switched networking technologies from Cisco (1g and 10g network architectures)
• Network Security technologies including Palo Alto Network, Juniper firewalls, complex ACL, IDS
• WAN Routing Protocols such as BGP, OSPF and EIGRP
• Hardware Load Balancing technologies from F5
• Bash shell scripting, Perl, Python, Ruby
• Deployed network monitoring and configuration solutions, MRTG, Cacti, Nagios, RANCID, TACACS
• Application network traffic and capacity analysis
• Common network-based services such as LDAP, DNS, SNMP, SMTP, Squid, etc.
For a full listing of jobs, go to www.nelsonjobs.com, our premier job search engine for candidates. Comprised of three major business units—Nelson & Associates, Nelson Staffing, and Nelson Technology—this company with 40+ years in staffing provides recruiting services to clients and candidates in accounting & finance, clerical, administration, human resources, technology, light industrial, manufacturing, legal, engineering, computer gaming, digital media, and the wine and beverage industries. Nelson places job candidates quickly in a number of fields in full-time, executive, consultative, and temporary positions.