Job Number: 2168821
Large Non Profit with a strong mission in schools is seeking an Assistant Controller . 100% remote. Ideally local in the Bay Area.
Reporting to the Controller, the Assistant Controller is responsible for the management of accounting and reporting activities. The Assistant Controller will supervise a team of five - six individuals that have functional responsibility over accounting, accounts payable, accounts receivable, cash management, financial reports, insurance, fiscal compliance and reporting, and flawless audits. S/he will also play an integral role in payroll and payroll related projects, performing semi-monthly and annual payroll processing reviews, and adding controls where needed. The Assistant Controller will ensure that Aspire has the systems and procedures in place to support bond covenant compliance and disclosures, real estate lease covenant compliance, grant recognition and tracking of specific financial terms, and financial compliance in multiple states. The Assistant Controller will train and support regional leaders, principals, and their teams, to ensure compliance of policies, procedures and operations, including staying ahead of state, federal and local changes in compliance requirements. In addition, the Assistant Controller will partner with the CFO, Controller, Director of Finance, and Directors of key home office functions to support key finance initiatives.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Manages all accounts, ledgers, and reporting systems ensuring accuracy and full compliance with appropriate GAAP standards and regulatory requirements. Includes cash management, bank reconciliations, accounts payable, accounts receivable, fixed assets and internal /external reporting.
- Maintains accounting policies, internal controls and safeguards of cash, revenue and costs. Produces accurate and timely information. Ensures proper implementation and provides training accordingly.
- Manages the monthly, quarterly and annual close, communicating and maintaining deadlines, and clearly documenting balance sheet reconciliations.
- Manages and puts ongoing processes in place to monitor bond and banking covenant compliance on a quarterly basis, reporting to agencies/banking partners as required. Puts processes in place to monitor financial covenants in real estate leases and financial obligations in grant agreements so we can ensure compliance.
- Manages and processes facility grant applications and annual insurance renewals
- Prepares and presents quarterly internal financial statements, in an accurate and timely manner; clearly communicate financial statements; monitor and report issues and major changes in financial status. Present those to the Board of Directors, as appropriate.
- Coordinates the annual financial audit, which include work paper preparation, liaison with auditors, and understanding of programmatic and financial requirements of government programs.
- Directs and prepares tax returns or reports for government regulatory agencies, including 1099, 990, property tax exemption filings and sales/use filings.
- Reviews semi-monthly and annual payroll processes and data entry to ensure integrity, improve controls and partner with team on ways to reduce inefficiencies. Partner with Controller on payroll related projects to improve financial processes, procedures and controls.
- Prepares/reviews journal entries as needed.
- Prepares timely Board agenda items/covers for areas of responsibility.
- Leverages strengths of the accounting team members, helps clarify roles and responsibilities, leads, develops and trains team members in order to maximize and reach optimal individual and organizational goals.
- Provides optimal internal communications for staff; creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment.
- Ensures all members of the accounting team partner and support finance team efforts, as well as with the leadership of the other home office, regional offices, and school teams.
- Actively seeks to improve and simplify accounting approach with sustainable and scalable solutions.
- Includes the utilization of technology to eliminate inefficiencies while maintaining extremely high accuracy.
- Demonstrates knowledge of, and supports, the Non-Profit's mission, vision, value statements, standards, policies and procedures, operating instructions, confidentiality standards, and the code of ethical behavior.
- Performs other related duties as required and assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS:Required knowledge, skills & abilities:
Minimum educational level
- Proactive, hands-on leader with strong accounting, analytical, audit, and organizational skills.
- Team management and leadership that creates and promotes a positive and supportive work environment and inspires others to achieve excellence.
- Commitment to recruiting, mentoring, training, and retaining a diverse team; the foresight and ability to delegate accordingly.
- High attention to detail, organization and follow-up with a demonstrated ability to successfully handle multiple projects concurrently.
- Excellent critical thinking and problem-solving skills; good judgment and resourceful.
- Ability and desire to translate accounting concepts to individuals at all levels of the organization with varied knowledge of accounting and compliance principles.
- Positive, customer service oriented with relationship building skills.
- Strong excel, software and technology skills.
- Personal qualities of integrity, credibility, and unwavering commitment to the mission.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance
- CPA and/or MBA a plus
- 2-3 years of experience in a management position in the accounting area
- Solid experience coordinating audit activities and managing reports, accounts payable and receivable, general ledger, and payroll.
- Non-profit accounting experience a must. Should have an understanding of GAAP accounting.
- Advanced proficiency in excel
- Experience working in a multi-state context is a plus
If you're looking for a new opportunity, the recruiting and staffing experts at Nelson can help. We work with companies of all types and sizes across all industries. We help people like you find exciting roles with employers ranging from Fortune 100, government, and nonprofit organizations to local businesses, industry leaders, and the most agile start-ups. The candidates we work with appreciate our responsive approach, genuine relationships, and exceptional service. With a commitment to transparency, authenticity, and credibility, we look forward to our jobs every day, and we're excited to help you find the job you've been looking for. Nelson is an EEO Employer: Race, Religion, Color, National Origin, Citizenship, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Ancestry, Veteran Status, Genetic Information, Service in the Uniformed Services or any other classification protected by law.