Job Number: 2160107
South San Francisco
The Senior Accountant will be a key contributor to the Finance function and the Company organization in general. This position will work closely in collaboration with the rest of the Finance Team to complete the monthly financial close and assist with other responsibilities during qtr-end. This position will be the primary owner for several general accounting areas, such as cash, fixed assets, prepaids and expense accruals. The position will partner with the Accounts Payable and the Procurement functions to oversee and perform key internal control and procedural activities.
Partnering with the rest of the Finance Team, this position will also play an active role in performing and supporting SOX internal controls, and in completing our periodic reviews and audits by our external auditors, Ernst & Young.
- Oversee cash and short-term investments. accounting and administrative activities, including proper reconciliation of month-end balances.
- Oversee and ensure proper accounting for prepaids and other general assets and liabilities.
- Maintain and transact fixed asset activities in a separate subledger system, Sage, and ensure properly accounting in and reconciliation with the Company main ERP system, NetSuite.
- Manage the value added tax (VAT) receivable account and work with outside VAT consultants to meet periodic VAT filing compliance requirements.
- Responsible for calculations and accounting for foreign currency exchange gain / losses
- Responsible for accruals at month-end for expenses, such as legal, consulting, contract lab services, etc.
- Assist in managing the month-end close process, prepare balance sheet reconciliations, journal entries, variance analysis and documentation to support performance of required SOX internal control procedures.
- Comply with proper SOX internal control procedures, and support regular testing of controls as part of SOX 404 requirements
- Support the external qtrly reviews / annual audit processes with Ernst & Young (EY) including the preparation of "prepared by client" (PBC) requests, interactions with the auditors and resolution of open items.
- Complete certain periodic compliance filings, such as qtrly use tax filing, annual 401K Form 5500, Form 571-L property tax filing, etc.
- Partner with the Accounts Payable function to ensure performance of AP internal controls and operational activities, such as invoice vouchering and the payment run processes.
- Facilitate cash movements between financial institutions and perform deposits of any funds received.
- Partner with the Procurement function to oversee the Company credit card program, and ensure proper accounting of monthly activities.
- Perform ad hoc projects and/or assist other Finance Team members, as deemed necessary.
- Bachelor's degree with emphasis in Finance and/or Accounting
- Minimum of five years of relevant work experience
- Strong Microsoft Word skills in Excel and MS Word.
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Solid core accounting knowledge
- Ability to work effectively within a team that requires good coordination and collaboration to complete team and company objectives.
- Ability to effectively work cross-functionally
- Proactive, detail-oriented, a self-starter, able to take responsibility and maintain high quality and accuracy in reporting with specific deadlines.
- Results oriented with an ability to manage work appropriately to meet deadlines.
- Flexible and able to adapt to growing organizations and deal with the Company's frequently changing needs and priorities.
- Certified Public Accountant preferred
- Biopharmaceutical industry experience preferred
- NetSuite ERP experience preferred
- Stock Administration experience preferred
- Experience working in a public company preferred
- Public Accounting experience preferred
Team-player comfortable in fast-moving, dynamic environments
- Demonstrate a commitment to Company values of Integrity, Commitment, Creativity, Teamwork, Accountability and Fun
- Energetic, resourceful self-starter with high integrity
- Adaptable and resilient with a problem-solving orientation
- Process improvement identification and execution oriented
If you're looking for a new opportunity, the recruiting and staffing experts at Nelson can help. We work with companies of all types and sizes across all industries. We help people like you find exciting roles with employers ranging from Fortune 100, government, and nonprofit organizations to local businesses, industry leaders, and the most agile start-ups. The candidates we work with appreciate our responsive approach, genuine relationships, and exceptional service. With a commitment to transparency, authenticity, and credibility, we look forward to our jobs every day, and we're excited to help you find the job you've been looking for. Nelson is an EEO Employer: Race, Religion, Color, National Origin, Citizenship, Sex, Sexual Orientation, Gender Identity, Age, Disability, Ancestry, Veteran Status, Genetic Information, Service in the Uniformed Services or any other classification protected by law.